Sunday, November 9, 2008

Of Irish Music in Quiapo

As I enjoy my walk along the Quiapo area one day while practicing one of my street rites, which is to check on the bootleg audio CDs hawked along the busy side streets, I stumbled upon an audio CD of a band called The Script. I asked the seller to play it and their music sounded perfect! After hearing the first cut called “We Cry,” I immediately parted with my hard earned twenty pesos (approximately $.40) and protectively stashed the CD inside my bag smiling contently. I also got a CD of an eclectic mix of Irish music in Quiapo once titled "Celtic Thunder." I gave it to my boss though so there was no chance of appreciating it.

Anyway, I saw the Script album prominently displayed at a Music One store and found out that the band is actually making quite a stir in the music world, spinned as the next best thing coming from Ireland after U2 with their hit “The Man who can’t be Moved.” I sure am lost with what’s in and out for not listening to the radio. But that is the least of my concern.

I also recently watched a video film “Once,” a short budgeted Irish film about a struggling musician. The film was so sweet and sincere acted out by real-life musicians Glen Hansard and Marketa Iglova. Shot in Dublin, Ireland, it reminded me again of my pledged affinity to Eire as my second country after the Philippines (but that is another story). The song “Falling Slowly”, with its simple lyrics and duet can stir emotions of memories, of hope, and lost loves and loves lost.

“Big Sur” by The Thrills is another song that I got a few years ago. All the while, I thought they are from San Francisco but then again, they hail from Ireland! What’s with the Irish lineage to be able to produce such musicality! With a population of less than 6 million, they really make a global impact in music.

Of course there are the Irish pop acts past and present like U2, The Cranberries, the Pogues, The Dubliners, Belle x-1, Corrs, and other bands that I do not know. But one Irish act that stands out for me is Christy Moore. Christy Moore with his soothing, relaxed yet tension-filled rendition of folk ballads never fails to make me sit and close my eyes and wonder what is happening to the Ireland of my imagination. “Black is the Color” sung by Mr. Moore is a song that I always keep close to my heart. Thank you to the person who introduced me to the music of this great artist.

No comments: